dimanche 6 avril 2008

What Is Culture Anyways?!

So, as I am doing some research on ESL teaching and culture, I can't help but wonder...what is culture anyways?
In my opinion, there is a broad definition of culture, but I think it can also be a very personal thing.

Let me know what you think! What your definition of culture is!!!

5 commentaires:

Lyne a dit…

Culture is me and you beeing part of the St-Patties concert when we were kids.. it's me and you going to the Bluegrass Festivals everywhere w/our pops!! It's me and you singing like crazy and beeing so damn beautifull.. it's me and you making movies.. I think culture is me and you .

Jay Miron a dit…

Culture is many things. It's getting asked for money by strange ladies in the DK lounge caf, it's getting groped by drunk dudes when youre triyng to dance and have a good time, it's about getting high fived by a miny kenyan fellow wearing a kids size musique plus t-shirt.

ViKY a dit…

You know, we think that this question would be easy but I've been stuggling to write the "right" definition of culture and can't seem to get it right. The thing is, it's SO many things that I think LIFE & IDENTITY are culture. I know it's vague... But in these categories you can find:

Life: Way of living, family (and its importance), home, food, city, nation, music, art, working possibilities, freedom, etc.

Identity: Hobbies, fashion style (or lack of it), accent, language(s) spoken, mind, intelligence, life priorities, values, etc.

All in all, Culture is in everything we do, we say, we eat, etc.

What about you?

Sara Ann Sexton a dit…

Dear Jason, I see that you give concrect, probably personal, examples of what culture means to you! I couldn't help but giggle as I read them. Thank you for sharing!

Sara Ann Sexton a dit…

Hello Viky!
I totally agree with you! As much as culture can be seen as a whole for an entire nation or country, I think that it comes down to aspects which are much more personal and that are transmited to us by our family. These aspects, which are part of our everyday lives, include, food, music, fashion, religion, values, etc., anything that makes us who we are, but most importantly, I think that all of these influence the choices that we make in life. Thank you for your great comment!!